Sunday, July 22, 2007

Knowing Known Books

I admit it. I'm a book hoarder.

Today I went to two used bookstores (Know Knew Books and Book Buyers ) and spent three hours browsing through their selection. As you can probably tell from their websites, BB seems to be much more organized and has a bigger selection. KKB is clearing out their entire inventory right now for 50% off all books to make way for 50,000 books they currently have in storage. I wouldn't be surprised if they are going to be renovating their space as well to compete with BB.

I was able to buy four books from KKB for a total of $18 - 'Tis by Frank McCourt, Under the Tuscan Sun by Frances Mayes, Waiting by Ha Jin, and The Bonesetter's Daughter by Amy Tan (hardback).

Not sure when I'll be able to start these books since I'm concurrently working on Wicked, Eats, Shoots and Leaves, Carly Fiorina's autobiography, Germs, Guns and Steel, The Bean Trees, The Rape of Nanking, Saving Fish from Drowning, and Heat. Not to mention Businessweek magazine, bible reading, blog readings.

Not sure what starting books and rarely finishing one before starting another says about me. But eventually, I do get around to the end.

Scary, my friend just told me about BestWebBuys which does comparison shopping on all online bookstores including used and new prices. This could be dangerous - my bookshelf doesn't have enough space.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I give away about 3 out of 4 books after I read them. There's no way we'd be able to move all those books from country to country.

Do you catalog your books? I use Librarything.com.

Master Jedi said...

"But eventually, I do get around to the end." You should explain this a little more ha ha ha. I'm not sure if reading half or quarter of the book and then skipping to read the end qualifies as "read the book"?

Well i guess i could start selling my CDs or more games to make more room for the incoming books. We could also move some of the books we never read into the empty cabinets.

Mo's Musings said...

Hsien - yeah, I like giving away books too! But before you give those away, let me know what the titles are - I might want them :)

Ted - yeah, skipping to the end doesn't qualify. As for empty cabinets? Not sure if we have any more :) Time for summer cleaning!